Bees Stings and Your Dog

Bee stings become more prevalent as springtime flowers bring hungry honey bees. While honey bees are generally harmless, they will sting when they feel threatened. Imagine a small bee just minding his own wax, gathering pollen from a dandelion, when your curious pooch moves in on the same flower. In a split second your dog may be stung and they are most likely to be stung right in the face.

While you can’t keep your eyes on your dog every time they go out, you can familiarize yourself with signs and symptoms of bee stings. Some canines will experience mild symptoms while bee stings may be deadly to others.

Initial signs that your dog has been stung include running around frantically and pawing at the spot where they were stung. Other mild reactions may include:

  • Swelling at the sting site
  • Puffiness around the muzzle

More serious bee stings may cause an allergic reaction and will require immediate veterinary attention. Signs that your dog is experiencing allergic reaction include:

  • Suddenly listless
  • Swelling in places other than the sting site
  • Bee stings at multiple sites
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Vomiting

Signs that your dog may be going into anaphylactic shock and requires emergency veterinary attention include:

  • Vomiting
  • Body becomes limp
  • Gums become pale

For mild reactions to bee stings, many dogs respond well to the appropriate dosage of Benadryl. You can alleviate pain at the sting site by using a mixture of water and baking soda.

If your dog experiences a more severe allergic reaction your best option is to contact your regular veterinarian or call Ironhorse Vetcare. Our emergency room has doctors onsite 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Leave a Comment

Have An Emergency?
Click or call the number below and we will be available to assist you